Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Warming up in Houston - Tee anyone?

Last week was cold and rainy, this week is getting warm, still dry though! Yesterday we hit 86, today should be quite similiar, and all week long. We checked the pool on Sunday, it's 69-1/2 degrees, I can't wait to see how much it warms up this week, we should hit 74, which is swimmable, but chilly! I, myself, prefer 80, which I'm hoping is mid-May, but it all depends on rains - they chill it right off.

Last week, Steve and I took a vacation day on Monday and played golf at Bear Creek, it was maybe 70 degrees with a breeze, light coat weather, but beautiful on the golf course (this was in between rainy days). This was the first time Steve got to use his new Birthday club, man he smacked the heck out of it, so as a result, he realllly likes his birthday gift! :-) He ended the day with a 95, I had a 100. We were proud, since we haven't been playing in awhile (like last July!!).

We were so excited, that when the guys from work asked us to take off Friday to play at Black Horse we say "YES!!" Friday was projected Heavy rains, but we all still went for it! On the way to this course (that I've never played, but we used to get a HP discount of $30) so anywho, my collegue called when we were on the way out there, telling me to, not have a heart attack, but he just paid $101 - and I asked for how many? reply, just myself, reaction and reply "oh, hell no, I'm not paying $200 to golf in the rain" sooooo, Steve and I went to Jersey Meadow down the road from us, we've been there before and we really like the people there. We paid $80 for the both of us, and off we went.......clouds were looming, but weather temperature was great, almost cold. When we were waiting on the 5th hole, the ranger pulled up, which always means we're slowing play (looking for our lost balls)... but this time was good news. He told us we could replay holes, or go back to #2 and play back through the round, whatever we wanted, just have fun. Since I scored snowmen on holes 3 & 4, we went back to hole #2 and started over..... there was no way with threatening rain, that we were going to get 18 in anyways....so back to hole 2 we went. By the time we got back to number 5, I had shaved 4 points off my score, so I really appreciated the "re-do!"

After teeing off on #7, the bull horn blew, we had just seen lightening in the distance and new it was coming. We go back to the clubhouse, and show them our score card, and told them that we played a couple of holes twice, well, they weren't listening well, cause I'm not soft spoken.......or they're just this nice, they gave us a complete rain check, $75 credit, so Steve and I spent 1.5+ hours playing 9+ holes for $5 - now that's a DEAL.

Jordan spent the weekend in Austin at a yearbook retreat, they had classes, workshops, she had a blast. They were at UT (University of Texas) and Jordan liked the campus, opened her eyes as a possibility.

Ali's soccer game was cancelled for Saturday due to the terrential downpours we were having. Her friends wanted to go roller skating, so in the middle of the downpour, I took 5 kids across town to the rollerrink, and we saw cars flooding, yea, nice! While they skated, I went across the street to the movies, State of Play, with Ben Affleck, Russell Crowe and Rachel McAdams - thumbs up.

Sunday's soccer game was cancelled as well due to the saturated fields. We hung out relaxing at the house, I made Manicotti, stuffed tomatoes and garlic bread for dinner. We ate poolside, and Jordan told us about her Austin trip, we all laughed and had a good time. Then when getting seconds, Jordan added a "special" ingredient to the Manicotti...........her sprite tipped into the plate, I told her that is how great chef's find the best secret recipes (trial and error); and some people like a little sweeter tomato sauce..... no one's tried it since, but I'm sure they will, and it'll be great! :-) Or the dog will love it.

I had to have a word with my mother, the separating of Hostas is no easy task. Them things are deep rooted, and I'm thinking it's how superglue is made. Wow. I was making a couple combo planters, and they were going to be in the shade, so Hostas are doing well, and getting big, so time to separate to these new baskets! I have a feeling next time it will be a much bigger task, cause I don't plan to do it for quite some time, my arms still hurt! But the baskets look nice.

No comments: